Tuesday, March 01, 2011

Seared Walleye

Thanks to Kathy I had a long lunch today. We went out to the New Scenic Cafe, my favorite restaurant in Duluth, to celebrate our anniversary. (Happy Anniversary, Kathy! Thanks for the many good years.) Fourteen years can go by in the blink of eye, I assure you. In any event, we enjoyed the pistachio encrusted goat cheese salad. I had a seared walleye sandwich on cranberry sourdough - Kathy had a nearly identical sandwich with chicken instead of fish. We followed up by sharing a creme broule and a triple berry pie with ice cream. The walleye was perfectly prepared and everything else was fantastic.

The New Scenic Cafe is across the street from a glorious view of Lake Superior. It was a cold day, but the sun was shining very bright off the lake. Inside, the cafe is decorated in traditional Northern Minnesota decor - lots of light wood on the walls and table tops, some birch and willow branches near the windows, and some funky chandeliers. The service is always good, but, as my friend Ryan pointed out today, one goes to the Scenic for the food - it is always delicious!

The best part, however, was the woman. There's a line from C.S. Lewis' essay, "Meditations in a Toolshed," where he says that when you've really found the one you love it's obvious because fifteen minutes of idle chit-chat with her is worth more than all the favors that all the other women alive could do for you. That sums up perfectly how I feel about Kathy. There are many things I adore about her ~ and I won't go into all of them here ~ but the best thing is how easy it is to be around her, to talk with her, and to spend time with her. I'm glad that she's given me the best part of fourteen years and I hope we'll have many more together.

No comments: